Monday, June 2, 2014

The Lord's Hand

My heart is full as I write you on this absolutely roasting hot Monday afternoon. It's been great to see the photos of Sterling going off to the plane and all the goodbyes. I'm super proud and happy for him! For most of the street contacts that I make I like to show them a photo of my family. If they ask whether or not my family supports my decision to be on a mission I like to launch into how my father served in Germany when he was a young man, my mother served in Portugal when she was a young woman, and my kid brother is serving in Japan with me. Because I don't know for sure whether or not Grace will go, I just mention that she is thinking about going when she is graduated. It really is a blessing to have so many missionary examples in my immediate family!

This week was wonderful. We worked hard. The sun beat down, we got tan, and an uncountable number of people now know that we are missionaries who share the Gospel of Jesus Christ! Most of them have a flier with which they can re-contact us if they have interest. 

We didn't get nearly the numbers that we had last week, but we had some great success teaching less-active member lessons. We were able to schedule 3 different people and share a message of sorts. One of the most impressive to me is a man that we make regular visits to. He is a bus driver and so when we went to visit him on Saturday and saw his arm all bandaged up, he related to us the story of how when he was putting water into the radiator, the lid exploded and gave him 3rd degree burns all up and down his forearm. It looked really painful. We asked if there was anything that we could do to help and he asked if we wouldn't mind coming back the next day since he was entertaining company the time we arrived. We happily agreed, so yesterday we were able to go down with the Elders Quorum President and give this good brother a blessing. Elder M anointed and Brother Wong was voice. Great spirit in that home!

Earlier that day (Sunday) Elder M and I were anxiously preparing for a lesson as well as for John's baptism. After John had his baptismal interview this past Thursday, he asked if I wouldn't mind baptizing him! I was very honored by the invitation. Especially since when we were assigned here to Taipa I had 2nd thoughts as to whether or not I would get to see another baptism. 


John showed up about 10 minutes before Sacrament Meeting in a tailored shirt and pants that he had purchased and been preparing just for this event. I also got a little "snazzied up" and wore a suit that I've only worn one other time on my mission (my birthday). 

During Sacrament Meeting John was listening and really enjoying himself as he listened to the testimonies that were borne and then he pleasantly surprised us as he got up and bore a testimony as well. He talked about his reading in the Book of Mormon and shared with us 1 Ne 3:7 and talked about how this year has been very hard on his family. Economic crises, health problems and general discord. He said that at the lowest point he was called by Elder M and I and felt like he should try listening to the message again (he was a former investigator from about 13 years ago). It struck me how we could be an answer to his prayers and how that same day, April 17th, was the very day that Elder M and I actually arrived Taipa, and that 3 hours previously I had told Elder M and more than anything else in the world, I wanted to baptize with him. We met John on April 18th (with a member-present lesson too!) and extended a baptismal invitation. All within our first 24 hours in our area! So to see how this all turned out and having had the foreknowledge that I did, the whole experience has been particularly meaningful. 

I baptized John and thankfully I succeeded in doing it in one dunk (one of the greatest fears of my mission is having to re-do a baptismal prayer).  After I brought him up out of the water we embraced and then went back to change our clothes. He was asked at the close of the baptismal service to share any thoughts or feelings that he had. He mentioned that the first time Elder M and I met with him, we had invited him to pray about the truthfulness of our message. He did, to which he said he got an immediate response that said it was not true. Slightly puzzled by this he decided to pray again but this time to clear his mind of all other thoughts and to be earnest about it. The feelings and impressions that came to his mind the second time are what ultimately strengthened him and built his testimony during those times when Elder M and I weren't around to teach and support. Great testimonies were borne. 
It really was an incredible week! 


This past Wednesday the Macau Zone went into Hong Kong where we were able to participate in a Zone Conference with the Hong Kong Island Zone. We talked about goals and obedience and one quote from the Mission President really stood out to me: "What we get from pursuing our goals is not nearly as important as what we become from pursuing our goals."

Right after the Zone Conference we were privileged to be able to go through and do a temple session. In the temple I saw temple workers from each of the wards that I have served in, and for a fleeting moment I felt like that was what heaven was going to be like. I won't just have these friendships and relationships during my mission. They can be eternal.
 
Great week. Spiritual week. I finished the Book of Mormon too! Love that book! 
I love you all. Keep up the good work! Be a missionary no matter where you are! 

Love, 
Elder Siebach 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment and Tasha will send it to Spencer in next week's email.