Monday, June 9, 2014

Feeling "Infinitely More" Blessed

Dear Friends and Family,

Things have really been pushing along here in Taipa. This past week was about as hard a week as our first week when we had no investigators. Partly due to the fact that one of our best investigators got baptized, and some of the others whom we regularly meet with are busy with college finals and Secondary School projects/finals. We really didn't have any scheduled lessons so that made for a lot of finding. The finding turned our to be pretty good and we were able to find some really great people. Also had a few heart-breakers, with some really good people who just didn't go through and choose to continue investigating:(


I may or may not have mentioned that last week when we were in Zone Conference there was a real emphasis on being effective and productive at all times. Especially in finding since that seems to be a struggle for some missionaries. I think that I've been blessed in that even though in the beginning of my mission I disliked finding, I have grown to really enjoy the challenge of it all; the street, the elements, the potential and possibilities, all the new people I get to meet, etc.... It helps that now I feel comfortable in the language too.


One of the things that Elder M and I decided to try was something called a 'morning find'. Basically we cut out our studies in the morning and right after we were showered and ready for the day we went out and tried to do some contacting. The contacting was just that; contacting. Lots of international people and a lot of domestic workers all going to work. No real time to listen.

We got in from our morning find at about 12pm a little discouraged that it felt like such a flop. Then the miracle came. We pulled the phone out of our proselyting case to find that we had 2 missed calls. We called the number back and it turned out that it was a man whom we had contacted about two hours previously. He was busy when we contacted him but he took a flier. I specifically remember in that contact that we also mentioned that we teach people about The Book of Mormon and that we had a website that he could go to if he wanted to learn more.
Well, come to find out, he felt something as we mentioned the Book of Mormon and for the next hour or so the thought pestered him. He finally looked up the website, read all about the Restoration and Joseph Smith and then called! He scheduled with us for that afternoon to get a Book of Mormon. We met him in the park at the hottest part of the day and with sweat running down our faces (literally we had to stop and pull out our handkerchiefs for a moment) we taught him about the Book Of Mormon. I wish I could say that the lesson was the easiest thing in the world but it wasn't. He has a lot of pre-conceived ideas about apostasy and prophets and wasn't accepting much of what we said. He did, however, believe that the Book of Mormon was true and wanted to read it. We gave him a copy of his own and that's where we are. Now I have to have faith that if he reads and really asks God he will know the truth of the message and we will see him again. Truly a miracle contact! Morning time, flier, Book of Mormon. What more could you need? Besides maybe a member to be his friend:)

Another highlight from this week was this past Friday. We had Zone Training in the morning and the ZLs and Sister Training Leaders (STL) gave us all the new updates in the mission and some things to continue to work towards. Afterwards we all ate together and had a bit of a celebration with the Filipina Sisters providing their signature "Mango Float" dessert. It's wonderful. Right after that I went on an Exchange with Elder Ketring who is a Mandarin Elder and we took the ferry into Hong Kong to renew our visas. We turned back around soon after and once we got to Macau we were ushered into the Immigration Office where we sat for about 45 minutes as they processed our information only to tell us that they need us to come back in 3 days and we can then apply for extended stays in Macau. So 3 days later (today) we were in the Immigration Office from 8:30 to 11 taking care of all that. I've applied and in 2 days they will come back with a decision. I feel pretty confident that I will get it since I'm only trying to extend my stay for 3 more days. I also had a letter of Recommendation from the Branch President and my Boarding Pass as proof. It's in the Lord's hands now though.





John was confirmed a member of the church this past Sunday. That was a really sweet experience! The 2nd Counselor in the Branch Presidency gave the blessing and the Ward Mission Leader and I both participated. John was in a suit and really looked good. He's so much happier and he lifts the spirits of those in the ward around him. During Elders Quorum he had his first experience fellowshipping an investigator instead of being fellowshipped! Next week we're looking forward to him receiving the Priesthood!

Speaking of new members, I've been in contact with Leo for the last couple weeks trying to organize some sort of a final meeting. He's an absolute stud. He wanted to come out here so bad but the ticket is just too expensive. I'm really hopeful that on my last day in Hong Kong we will be able to have a reunion of sorts. He's going to be a Summer Missionary for 2 weeks this August and is preparing to serve as a full-time missionary too! :)

I think one realization I've come to on my mission is that no matter how much you may think you are teaching and blessing those around you, they are blessing you infinitely more. Every member, investigator, less active, etc... These relationships and experiences will last an eternity. I'm so blessed to serve as a missionary and to be here at this time. 

I'm grateful for each of you and especially grateful for scriptures. I know that anyone who will read with even the smallest ounce of faith can get an answer. God doesn't need a lot of faith to make miracles happen, He just needs some. As the prophet so eloquently quoted, we can all "lift up the hands that hang down." I know that Heavenly Father wants all of us to be missionaries no matter what our capacities or strengths may be. Keep going! GA YAUH!

Love, 
Siebach JeungLouh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment and Tasha will send it to Spencer in next week's email.