Monday, July 30, 2012

On the Home Stretch!


Dear friends and family,
Great week here at the MTC! I got a few letters as well as some nice updates from other people's missions--very interesting to hear of other peoples experiences. About now I'm feeling like my mission is the MTC!!! I've been here so long (69 days) that it seems a little weird to me to think about leaving. But don't get me wrong, I'm so so so ready to get out of my 1/2 mile compound... This week we got our travel itinerary and our flight out of Salt Lake at 10:05 to LAX. We get there at 11:00 and fly out of their at 12:55 for HONG KONG!!!! The first is just a quick flight, and the Hong Kong flight is 16 hours! We're all really pumped about it! Since we will depart the MTC at 6:00 there will be no more opportunities to attend the temple, however, I'm betting that I will be able to call around 7:30 or so (8:30 CT)--so be prepared! I should also be able to talk in LAX if we need to, but I imagine I'll be stopping for a bite to eat there so we'll just have to see. Anyway, there is your heads up. I purchased a pre-paid calling card.
This week was a good week for lessons and on Tuesday Zoe committed to be baptized and has a date set for August 4th (This Saturday). Unfortunately we only teach her once this week and so we won't get through the complete lessons before we leave--therefore, no baptism, but we're working for that date nonetheless. Kim's baptism went as well as it could have. Elder Parker conducted, Elder Allen gave a talk on Baptism, and I performed the ordinance. The day of the baptism I spent an hour or two memorizing the Cantonese baptismal prayer, and then of course I go to do the ordinance and blank...I forgot to ask for her full name, and couldn't recall the prayer... So I stopped, asked for her full name, and stumbled through the prayer which thankfully I had written down... It was more embarrassing than anything because immediately after I remember the prayer exactly. Oh, well. At least it was in here and not the field. My companionship also did a special musical number and sang, "There Is Sunshine In My Soul Today". It was pretty good! I'm just grateful that when we sing in Cantonese we don't have to pay attention to the tones!
Speaking of special musical numbers, on Sunday my district and the new Cantonese district (they've been here 4 weeks now) sang "Be Still My Soul" as our final hurrah since next Sunday is Fast Sunday and we won't be able to perform. This also went well and I really enjoyed it--that is my favorite hymn. Speaking of favorites, how is my plaque scripture and plaque looking? I wouldn't mind a picture of my plaque if you could. I really do like my  chosen scripture, but if my plaque isn't made yet, perhaps I could change it? Alma 26:16,35. These two scriptures are the testimony of Ammon and really missionary-esque.
The devotionals were good this week and our Tuesday one was on Pioneer Day so that was kind of the focus and how we as missionaries are modern day pioneers going to lands that are foreign to us, all in the name of our Lord. It was really good and the speaker also related all the material to Come Come Ye Saints--Which by the way, there is a very powerful version done my the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Last night's devotional was given by Brother Swensen who is a missionary services director and he spoke on missionary work through the Book of Mormon and had some great material. I have it all written down in a Devotional/Fireside journal that you can read in two years if you'd like--not enough time to cover everything I need/want to in these emails.
Glad to hear you got my picture card, hope you enjoyed the pictures!
Forgot to mention, this week I also finished the Book of Mormon again! It took me 8 weeks I believe. I'm now reading from there daily still, but doing a concentrated study on Doctrine and Covenants.
I liked your thoughts mom about Helaman and him not complaining in his hardships, he really is a great leader and someone I aspire to be more like. In my studies this week I was primarily in Ether and Moroni and those are both great books to conclude on! There is so much in those pages! One thought I had was the interesting differences and similarities between Nephi and the Brother of Jared--specifically how both are commanded to build vessels. Its interesting to me how the Lord accomplishes the same things with both these groups but he goes about it in slightly different ways and gives them different commandments and guidelines for building the ships. However, through their building of the ships, both groups grew in faith and trust in Heavenly Father and His divine help for them to get to the promised land.
Quickly I'll talk about the MTC as you asked mom. You know, this is a great place, but one I'm not sad to leave and won't be sad to not come back to for a long long time. Maybe when I'm doing couple missions. It's interesting how even though there is such a strict stringent schedule, you can still find ways to  be unproductive and goof off. No one makes you do anything. They just encourage and let you guide yourselves. I didn't expect that when I got here but I'm glad that my companionship has been really good about being 100% in all things. There are many districts that I have seen come and go who don't keep to the specified schedule and I really do think that they suffered or will suffer because of it. Its also very easy to get sick of the MTC. It's very monotonous and at times just boring. I don't want to study Cantonese for 9 hours a day, or whatever else it may be. It's funny to me to see the English speakers come in, stay for 18 days but curse it the whole time because they feel like they've been here for so long. They have no concept of long, but they just aren't worried about a language so they get stir crazy. My strength was that I tried not to think about how much I didn't want to be here, but rather on how this would prepare me for where I will be going. It's easy, especially when you have 12 weeks in here, to just give up and say I've had enough and will coast until I leave. I also dreaded teaching opportunities in the beginning because they were so intimidating to me. And I know it will be even worse when I get to Hong Kong and can't speak, but I always sucked it up and did what I had to do. You need to stick-to-it attitude to be successful here.
We got 3 of the 4 temple names done. (missed one woman's name). Do you want me to send them home? Just let me know. The pants are great, as were the baked goods so thanks!
Thanks for everyones love and prayers, I'll need them especially for the next two weeks.

Love,
Elder Siebach

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment and Tasha will send it to Spencer in next week's email.