Monday, June 18, 2012

Happy Father's Day!


Dearest Families and friends,
I tell you what, it has been quite the week! But first things first, Happy Father's day to all men, especially my dad. I'm just sorry it's after the fact... But it sounds like you guys had a great day. That is wonderful news about Jason! Tell him to DearElder me back haha. Obviously if he sends it today I won't be able to respond for another week, but I'm always wanting to know how things are for him--you all as well :) As an update, the Elder in my Zone who was possibly going to go home for surgery has now been cleared to go to Hong Kong! So he and that district will be leaving a week from today. My companion, Elder Wu, will also be leaving with them. He found this out on Wednesday and since then I have been working in a Tri-panionship with the two other Elders in my District--Elders Parker and Allen. It was a rough start considering I didn't know where they were in teaching their investigators and I literally had to pop right into the middle of a lesson that they were giving. It's weird to not have Elder Wu as a companion anymore, but I still see him plenty since the two Cantonese districts stick together like glue. In two weeks another wave of 5 Cantonese missionaries will come into the MTC. It's hard to believe that I am starting week 5 today. I mentioned last week that I saw my mission president at the temple, and this week all the Mission presidents come in and have seminars. I think including mission presidents and their wives, we're supposed to have something like 500 or 600 missionaries. Typically it seems like most weeks we have hovered around the high 300s to low 400s so it will feel a little cramped I imagine. 
On Tuesday I was teaching a lesson to my investigator A-Hei and when I got back the sister missionaries who were in the classroom conducting their Comp. study said that I needed to go down to the main building room 114. Just so y'all know, if you get called to the main building, its usually something bad, and if its room 119 it means someone in your family has died or you are being reassigned to a different mission. Needless to say, those first moments were a little tense for me. Turns out I was ushered down to speak with the MTC president, President Brown. I thought for sure I was in trouble until I saw the pleasant smile on his face. He ushered me into his office while my companion waited outside. We then had a pleasant conversation about a wonderful Siebach family that had lived in Gloversville shortly before he went on his mission to New York. He asked me about my relation and proudly said that Ralph Siebach was my grandfather. He said the Siebach's were legends in the church in that part, and that they had made waves in Pittsburgh area too. He then asked my companion to come in and after discussing our missions he asked if we would be a part of a special sacrament meeting this coming Sunday for the mission presidents, their wives, and numerous apostles (possibly prophet)! He asked specifically if we would help pass the Sacrament. WHAT A GREAT EXPERIENCE! I am so looking forward to it! Since then I have thought a lot about the power of a good name and feel truly inspired by predecessors on both sides who are amazing examples of righteousness and integrity. Subsequently I have been thinking about my name and Leslie Young, the Spencers, and the Siebachs--both sides of the family covered. So thank you parents, grandparents, and so on who strive to be the best they can be.
I want to thank all the people who have written me this week. I have loved reading the letters and appreciate your prayers and thoughts. I will try to get back to you as soon as possible whether that is today or next week I'm not sure. Missionary work doesn't give much time from breaks, even on P-day.
Last Tuesday President Malm of the Seventy spoke to us in a missionary devotional and talked about Faith, Works, and Desire and making sure those all matched up if we expect to be effective, converted missionaries. I love the devotionals so much! My district typically sits in a corner on the floor and face a podium in the middle and another awesome experience for me is singing the prelude hymns with 2500 other missionaries all neatly dressed and getting ready to head out. Yesterday our Sunday fireside speaker was Sister Sheri Dew and she talked about receiving and remembering spiritual gifts. I wish I could write out notable quotes but I don't have the time. It was a great devotional though and after we watched "Mountain of the Lord" which was about the SLC Temple--pretty good.
Since the old Cantonese district is leaving next week they were released from their callings and those have come upon our Cantonese district because we are going to be here 7 more weeks and it's much more efficient to make the long-lasters fulfill callings so that you don't have to change every three weeks for state-siders. I'm not sure if I mentioned or not that our zone is about 45 missionaries and they are all speaking English except our two Cantonese districts. I am not my District's District Leader and Elder Allen and Elder Parker are the Zone leaders. One of our sisters, Sister Heaton, is the Cooridinating Sister. That makes 4 out of the 5 members of my district in meetings together which has the potential to be awkward during ward counsel since they are right there. Luckily we haven't had any problems in our district to report on.
By the way, I am taking lots of pictures with friends, my district, and other happenings, but their is no way to upload onto a computer so I will sent the card home at some point and just ask that you download the pictures and then send it back out.
Another story: When you stay here for this long you have to find things to look forward to and do each day. So each evening we smell a Ponderosa Pine tree which smells like Cream Soda and Monday is P-Day, Tuesday is Super-fly Tuesday so we dress in suits, Wednesday is "Sahn Yuhk" day (which translates to 'fresh meat') as well as Where's-My-Tie-Wednesday. For this day we all pitch in a tie to a community pot and its luck of the draw to see which one you will wear that day (just can't be your own) Thursday is Tag Touch so when we greet eachother its a handshake and a chest bump against the other Elders Tag, Friday is now Frosty Friday because their is an Elder in our district, Elder Frost, whom we love because he is so genuine, and happy. So we try to be as happy and pleasant as him. Unfortunately he leaves next week for North Carolina so we'll have to restructure that. We're still coming up with ideas for Saturday and Sunday if you have anything clever/missionary appropriate. :)
Anyway, I'm now overtime so thank you for your prayers and letters. Keep in touch! I'll keep an eye out for Elder Tietjen and Hangen. Have a good week.
Love,
Elder Spencer Siebach

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment and Tasha will send it to Spencer in next week's email.