Monday, March 11, 2013

SKETCHY Outfits and a New Area


Some celebratory hot pot--Yum!
(Spencer and new comp., Elder Wa up front;
Elder R and comp. in back)
Dear Friends and Family,
I made it! Last week we had our district meeting and I found out that I would be leaving Chaiwan. I really didn't think I would go, just because it seemed like an improbable time to be leaving. Well, now I am serving KwaiChung ward! My area is up in the Kowloon side of things and I live in KwaiFong. My area includes on the MTR (subway) Lai King, Kwai Fong, Kwai Hing and Tai Wo Hau. My new companion is Elder Wa. I've probably mentioned him in previous letters because when I first got to Hong Kong he was serving in Causeway Bay and we shared an apartment. He's a super nice guy, been out like a year and a half almost and is from Tennessee.
Never in a million years would we have thought that we would get put together just because he was set to train here in Kwai Fong and even though I haven't hit my year mark yet, we're both considered 'old' in the mission. It's great to be serving with him and I share an apartment with Mandarin Elders that serve the New Territories. Believe it or not, those Mandarin Elders are Elder R and his trainee Elder Y! (Elder R was a good friend of mine when I lived in Tokyo!).
Spencer with Elder R
(friend from Tokyo middle school days)
Obviously I was super stoked when I found out that I would be living with him! Kinda like fulfilled a dream I had. We've been doing a lot of catching up and swapping stories. Every morning we go out and play basketball or run at the court/track near our apartment--super fun!
This area, KwaiChung, is a lot different from Chaiwan. A lot of schools and apartments are in our area with very few businesses, so by nature the majority of our contacts on the street are school kids and moms scattered here and there. The church is also 20 feet from our apartment building and in the middle of our area so it's really easy to have lessons at the church and give tours of the church. Within the last 2 months or so there have been 5 baptisms (ranging in age from 14 - 21) and so the ward is super 'on fire' and supportive. Yesterday I was asked to bear my testimony in church and I mentioned in my testimony how excited I was to be serving here and afterwards a handful of members just came up and said they'd be willing to help us teach lessons whenever they're free! <-- (That's a missionary's dream!).
I think I'm going to like the ward a lot. There are a good number of families and probably like 70 or 80 actives.
Like, how sketchy???
This past week we've been able to have a fair amount of lessons as well as spent a lot of time finding out on the streets getting new potential investigators. Two of these potential investigators actually came to church yesterday and I guess we should have told them how to dress for church or something because they came in the SKETCHIEST outfits I've ever seen! They also came late, so when we brought them into sacrament meeting the whole ward saw them... Oh well, plan better next time:)
Spencer with 2nd companion in HK, Elder Wo
One day this week I went over to try and contact a grandmother and maybe her 20ish granddaughter and was surprised to find out that the granddaughter spoke perfect English and lives in Sandy, Utah! Kinda random, but she's not a member. She was only in town for a wedding this weekend though.
Anyway, I'm going to cut this email short in the hopes that I can send off a few pictures to y'all.
Love you all! Keep reading and praying daily!
Love,
Elder Siebach

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment and Tasha will send it to Spencer in next week's email.