Monday, January 7, 2013

JoJo's Mess and Getting "Fong"ed!


Dear Friends and Family,
I was only here at the computers 5 days ago so I don't have a lot to write about. I'll try and fill you in on a few things though.
Starting with today since it's fresh in my mind. This morning we did a little cleaning in our apartment for which I am extremely grateful. I guess the other Elders got the hint after I swept the floor 3 times this morning since it was so dirty. Bought some groceries, then went to the Hong Kong Museum of Coastal Defence. I have been to the museum before, but the other 3 Elders in the apartment hadn't, and I was fine to go again since I liked it so much the first time. The museum was just as good the second time around, and obvious highlights are guns, tanks, and life-size replicas (I guess some things don't change no matter how old you get). After the museum the 4 of us then took the bus to Wanchai (where the church is) and from there tried to scout out JoJo's Indian Cuisine restaurant--it came highly recommended from my dad as well as other missionaries. We got there at 2 and the buffet closed at 2:30. So instead of rushing to eat we decided that we will go next week. After a cheap lunch of noodles and dumplings I now am before the computer.  Probably won't do much else today than try to make a dent in my growing pile of letters to respond to. This evening we will be doing what we do best, street contacting! I'm actually kind of excited about it just because I feel like with Elder Wong, a Hong Kong native, I learn a lot more about how to contact and what language is normal without being too informal or formal. It's also so hot today! Full sun, dark suit and heavy backpack can be a little burdensome on a day like today.
For a couple months now I have written home and mentioned A and C. Well this past week we turned them over to the missionaries that serve their areas, and really hoping that all goes well and that they will continue to progress towards baptism. We also turned over a lady named Mrs. H, whom Elder Wong and I had contacted on Monday (my second time contacting her). She is/was super prepared and we were able to meet with her 3 more times--one was even while she was on-duty as the security guard for a local park--that was an interesting experience. You can tell she's like a 50-something-year-old woman and that she just works for fun. She wasn't concerned at all what people thought or even if her boss got mad. We also sadly had to turn her over to the Kwun Tong missionaries since she lives there. But I am sure she will progress! She's good!
On Saturday we had 5 lessons scheduled and ended up getting stranded by 3 of those investigators. I'm not even sure if stranded makes sense to y'all. Basically they were a no-show. Here in the mission we just call it 'getting fong'd'. Since we had a lot of time open up because of that, we did some good finding and taught some wonderful lessons! It's just a shame that they all are from other areas! So this week we will probably turning them over to the proper missionaries.
Yesterday was Sunday, and it was a wonderful Fast and Testimony meeting. Another real highlight was that there was a baptism for our ward! The Causeway Bay Sisters, who at one point also covered Chaiwan, had a 19 year old girl, Yannix, get baptized! Elder W performed the ordinance and it all went smoothly. She also bore a sweet, sincere testimony at the close of the services. It was a great morale boost to missionaries and members alike to have a baptism and a new member in our small ward. :) A was the only investigator who came to church unfortunately, but we had an absolute miracle in that one of the investigators, D, who the night before told us he could not come to church, called and told us he would be there at 12 which was just in time for the baptism! We were able to have a great lesson with him afterwards and talk about baptism.
Congratulations to Sterling on choosing to get your patriarchal blessing! When will that happen?
I'm also sorry to hear about all the tragedies going on in the High School... Those are tough things to deal with/think about.  I'll also keep those people whom mom mentioned in my prayers.
Hope you are all staying safe and warm! I have plenty of both here in Hong Kong. Read the scriptures, pray, and as Elder Cook so elequently talked about this past conference, do you remember the feelings at your baptism? Can you feel so now? We need to remember what great gifts the Lord has given us, then he will be willing to give more.
Love,
Elder Siebach
P.S. When we went finding on Saturday I saw a guy wearing a big jacket with TEXAS A&M printed on the back of it. I tried to go up and talk to him about it, but he walked too fast and clearly was not wanting to be approached by missionaries no matter what it was about.
P.P.S. I was buying groceries and one of the workers, probably 40's, told me I was a handsome boy and asked for my number. I don't think she realized that I understood Chinese. That was a little creepy though...
P.P.S.S. We were riding the Subway this week and a lady fainted in one of the train cars. We got stranded for a few minutes in one of the stops and it reminded me of a time when Dad, Sterling and I were on the Blue Line in Tokyo trying to get from Yoyogi Uehara to Shinjuku and there was some sort of train accident on the train before us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment and Tasha will send it to Spencer in next week's email.