Thursday, December 27, 2012

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!


Dear Friends and Family,
I wasn't planning on writing this week (I just called my family on Tuesday), however, I find myself with a few minutes here while I wait for my companion to finish his weekly letter to the Mission President. So I'll try and give as long an update as I have time for.
First things first though, I want to thank the Palazzo's for their Christmas package that they sent me! Complete with candy, a nice new tie, and an update from their family! Glad to hear that Michael is doing well in his mission too!
This week has been a whirlwind and to start it off, on Monday we had our Mission-wide Christmas activity. It started at 10 and went until 5. Among the things that we did was the year-end missionary slideshow. Afterwards, 102 missionaries then devoured two BBQ'd pigs for lunch, we had a gift exchange, the mission choir performed, and a closing spiritual thought from President Hawks. It was all a grand time and was nice to see missionaries that I hadn't seen since the day I arrived with them, as well as missionaries that I had yet to meet. The gift exchange was good too. I supplied a McDonalds card that had a bunch of coupons/ special offers on it, as well as some candy. I came home at the end of the night with a 12 lbs bag of rice... Not exactly what I was hoping for for Christmas, but it was certainly a 'practical' gift as was requested prior to the gift exchange. The mission choir was a big hit and something that I spent a few hours each week practicing for in December and November. We had a lot of missionary support and sang arrangements of "Silent Night" "O Holy Night" "Born to Wear a Crown" and "The First Noel." During President Hawks thought at the end of the day he also informed us generally about the future of the mission. Some of the things that he told us included that in January our first 18 year-old Elder and 19 year-old Sister come into the mission, and in April we have 15 new missionaries coming (10 of them are Sisters, to add to the 30 we already have) and then in June we have 16 missionaries 'dying' or going home, but they are very readily replaced by 22 new missionaries! Super exciting news! Because of the large amounts coming in, as well as a large number leaving, Elder Hawks anticipates that every missionary will be training within the next 4 to 6 months!
On Christmas day I was able to call home! I "ate" Christmas Eve dinner with my family as we talked for an hour and a half about the mission, things back home, and Sterling's Frankenstein-like brace that his recently surgeried shoulder rests in. (Not sure if surgeried is a word, but hopefully you understand me!). After the call I went with my companion to HungShuiKiu which was a 2 hour train ride from Hong Kong Island up into the New Territories on the border of Mainland China. I could actually see the buildings in Shenzhen from the train. While there the mission choir sang at the open house for the recently built New Territories Stake Center. It was a lot of fun and fun for me to get out of my 'Island bubble' to see what the China countryside has to offer.
Then yesterday, the 26th, we had our ward Christmas party. It was pretty well attended by both members and investigators, but Causeway Bay's ward, who had an activity at the same time, was not as well attended so they joined us for a short film about Christ's birth, a game of charades, and then a nice dinner of turkey/stuffing and take-out pizza--can't ask for a better, more authentic Chinese Christmas dinner; food from Italy and America.
Oh, and I forgot to mention that on Monday, after our missionary activity, Elder W and I made our way back into our area where we met up with 15 or so members from the ward and took a 24-seat bus to various apartment buildings to sing carols to lonely/less-active members. It was so much fun!!!! Singing carols with 20 or so people in absolutely tiny apartments can be a little bit cozy--you certainly feel like you're a lot closer with everyone :) One of the members in the ward took a ton of pictures and videos so I hope I can get my hands on some of those and you can see for yourselves how small everything and everyone are here.
In terms of things that happened last week though, I think it was pretty typical missionary work--go figure. Lots of finding, teaching, and not quite baptizing, but that will come.
Speaking of baptism. Every time I read 3 Ne 11 I am impressed with how the sequence of events for the Savior's visit. He comes in great glory, as would be expected, allows everyone to touch him and worship him, and then immediately sets about calling his 12 apostles and bestowing authority and power to baptize. Mind you this all happens in front of everyone. It's a testimony to me everytime I read it of the importance of baptism. The Savior wants to bless us, but first we have to be willing to follow him and make covenants. We do these things through baptism. I"m grateful for the doctrine behind, and ordinance of baptism, and just hope and pray that I can help these, the people of Hong Kong, have desires to come into the fold. Pray for them, pray for me to be able to help them. I need it. And remember, I'm praying for y'all too! Everyone can use prayers.
Hope you all are safe and having a wonderful Christmas/New Year as we reflect on the birth of Christ, and then make resolves to become more like him in the New Year. 
Love,
Elder Siebach

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment and Tasha will send it to Spencer in next week's email.