Thursday, September 20, 2012

One Move Down!


Dear Friends and family,
It feels like just yesterday I was writing. The time flew! I can't believe I'm here in this computer lab yet again. Still the same computer lab so I can't send any pictures. Not that I've taken a ton recently either. I need to be better about taking pictures. I saw Elder Rostrom today in Kowloon Tong today so I did manage to get a picture with him on his camera and my I-touch. Glad to hear that things are going well for the most part back home. Hope Scout continues to do well, I can just see her now sitting there dying to go out and play with a tennis ball :) The plaque looks good!--for the most part...the star isn't even on Hong Kong haha. No worries, most people won't notice I'm sure. And Flash is worse for wear. It's funny because this week I actually saw a late 90's model Acura TL. It made me reflect on Flash back home and how much I look forward to driving her, when I drive again that is. A little sad to hear that she couldn't weather through this one...Oh well.
The protests over the island in the China Sea were here in Hong Kong as well. I don't know if people attacked the Japanese Embassy but there has been a lot of talk and protesting. The the US Ambassador in Libya also die this week? Someone told me that. We also got a text this week from our mission president to just generally be careful because we are white and possible Muslim violence to look out for??? All I know is that I hope my two Arab/Muslim security guards of my apartment are cool with us haha.
So today, believe it or not, we actually moved! Our new apartment is a lot nicer than the one we have been in and very small. No room for some of the amenities that other apartments have. Like a couch or chairs. The A/C does work though so that is a bonus! It's also super convenient because it is in the middle of our area and a stone's throw from a bus stop and a subway station. We've moved a lot of our stuff over and just have to go back and get the last parts tonight. One thing that I admire about the people here is how much they can fit in so little. We have hardly any room but the Chinese people are master builders both in cities like Hong Kong and in their apartments. Sometimes their apartments feel like mini Hong Kongs with stacks shooting up here and there. My old apartment as well as my new apartment are roughly the size of my mom and dad's bedroom, not including the bathroom. It has a very 'homey' feel since it's all so small.
At church this week we had a few investigators show up--a few had work unfortunately, and one was sick. So not great numbers but for the ones that did make it to church, it was awesome. The other Chaiwan elders also had a baptism so it was a great experience to show our investigators what a baptismal service was like. Also got two less active members at church so hopefully we will be able to meet with them tomorrow.
Did a little bit of street contacting and have a lot of potentials so hopefully we can schedule a few lessons and perhaps get some of them to church. I think maybe the Jehovah's Witnesses saw some of our success because today they were in one of our most successful finding areas with their billboards and magazines. To avoid conflict we didn't try to contact there.
This week the new wave of missionaries also came in! Nice to see them again, and one of them, Elder Arrington, is moving into the apartment that I just moved out of. He will be serving in the area right next to me called Causeway Bay. Another new Elder, Elder Morton, is up in the New Territories somewhere, and Sister Cutler is in Kwun Tong. Just in case you guys back home are interested.
I was reading a lot this week in the last chapters of Alma and pondering on the Sons of Helaman and their righteous leaders like Moroni, Teancum, Antipus, and Helaman. These are truly men of God. They look to God in all things. And they definitely had good examples in their lives. The sons of Helaman specifically mention their mothers, and I definitely think that my mother is a great example in my life. I wouldn't for one second discount my father or leaders at church, teachers, and friends, though. I don't think the Sons of Helaman discount these either. We all have people in our lives that are great examples that we can follow. In my current circumstances I can rely on past experiences I've had with my family and leaders, but currently I can look for examples to emulate from members in my ward here, my mission president, Zone leaders, District leader, and especially my companion. There is good that we can learn from everyone we associate with.
I really also respect Pahoran in these chapters because he is chastened by Moroni, but he doesn't fault him, but praises him for his firmness. Just a great way to respond, and I way I need to work on. My dad can attest that I don't take criticism, even if it's constructive, very well. If you notice in the Moroni's letter, he says, "my beloved brethren, for ye ought to be beloved" and then Pahoran in his response ends his letter by calling Moroni his beloved brother. I believe Pahoran was doing all he could with the things that he had, and should not have been faulted, but even still, he found it in him to love Moroni still and to show an 'increase in love' as D&C 121 talks about. Worth thinking about in our daily exchanges with others.
This week in district meeting I gave a sharing (basically a 15 minute mini-lesson on a topic assigned by the District leader.) I was assigned to talk on revelation through the Book of Mormon as well as how the Book of Mormon can help our investigators. The lesson went well, but what I learned for myself was that I don't use the Book of Mormon nearly as much as I should. It's our most powerful resource as PMG says, and it can teach better than I will ever be able to. There is a reason that it is scripture and not my words. I think I don't use it nearly as much as I want to because often it's hard to use it in the middle of a street contact, but also because often I've been asked by people why we also teach from that and not the Bible more and so because I don't use the Bible much, I try to make it 'fair' and not use either. A mistake on my part that I am going to work on in the week ahead, but truly I need to be bolder and say that the reason I teach from it is because all Christian churches teach from the Bible, and the Book of Mormon is a new, second witness of truths. Anyway, my message, is use the Book of Mormon! Read it daily, ponder on it, share it, love it, cherish it etc...
Not a ton else has happened this week. I wish I had more new news to give y'all. Anyway, I also bought paper and letters so I will try and find a few moments to write in between moving and everything else I do. Have a good week.
Love,
Elder Siebach

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment and Tasha will send it to Spencer in next week's email.